Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Replacing a cluster node: SQL silent install setup installshield error

Can anyone tell me how to get around this? Installing SQL- no issues, just when applying the sp

I have tried numerous things, including rebuilding the 2nd node again

Trying to install a service pack on SQL 2000 node, and Install shield keeps returning this error, .

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v5.00.000
File=Log File
[ResponseResult]
ResultCode=-8

I have reset temp directories on both nodes,

I have made user permissions and profiles exist

I have copied install files to both local and remote locations

I know the response – Installshield cannot find the silent response file, but SQL setup creates this on its own.

Short of bringing this production system down and re-installing on both nodes ( I did test this on a non-prod box by the way, no issues), I am at a loss

Well

After 2 weeks of searching, finally!

It turns out, a couple of old log files and a registry key were the culprits..

I found this article this am, and it was the saviour

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66737

Specific to my case were:

all mif and logs EVERYWHERE on the replaced node and:

\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Need_SP_Key - delete this key (backup 1st of course) on the new node

SP3a went on like a dream, and I can now finally move onto SP4 testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment