Monday, February 20, 2012

Rendering report when one dataset times out

We use Report Server reports to provide our support staff with views into several production databases on various servers. The most commonly used report is a summary of the data on several production servers. The report contains multiple datasets. Each dataset points at a different server. If one of the servers is down some reason, one dataset fails to execute, and the entire report fails to to render.

What I would like is some control over this behaviour. If a given data set fails to execute, I would like the report to continue and render the results. The failed data set would obviously show no data but this is fine by me.

I know I can place timeout values on each dataset. But this doesn't help me.

Can I structure my report or SQL in such a way that the report survives the failure of a dataset to execute because a remote server is down?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi,

no actually not. YOu have to put the query within a stored procedure, catching it up with exception handling (Hope you are on SQL 2k5) or create a own data extension with .NET to provide a dataset to the report. In the custom coded data extension you will have all the functionalities of the .NET Framework to catch those errors.

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de|||You may use link server to collect the data on others DataBase, And put them in Temp DB...

No comments:

Post a Comment