Monday, February 20, 2012

Rendering reports programatically

I have just migrated all my SSRS 2000 reports to a different server on SSRS 2005. As a quality check I would now like to render all my 2005 and 2000 reports programatically to a directory so I can compare them.

I have a listing of the reports I want to run allong with their parameters (from the execution log). How would I go about rendering them from this list?

You can use the SOAP endpoints to render the reports.

How do you plan on comparing the output? I don't think a simple byte-wise comparison of the output will be sufficient.

|||

I was thinking of rendering to csv and pdf and comparing csv files using something like ultra-edit and then a visual check on PDFs.

Do you have any other ideas?

|||There were some changes to all of the renderers from 2000 to 2005. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some slight changes. The data renderers (XML, CSV) are probably your best bet for doing comparisons.

No comments:

Post a Comment