Monday, February 20, 2012

Rendering without publishing?

Hello guys,
I'm quite new to reporting services.
My Question is, how can I do this using Reporting Services?
Q. How can I preview the report (i know MS supplies a sample 'report
previewer'). But, I have to do this WITHOUT PUBLISHING this report on
to the server. i.e., I just want to use use the RENDERING part of
reporting services.
In short, I want Reporting services to "just take my connection string,
my sql and just render the report without doing anything extra like
publishing on the server, don't bother abt credentials etc.".
So far, this is what I've figured out. With a. SQL Statement, b.
ConnectionString, I know how to dynamically Generate RDL ( This, I've
figured it out.) looping through the column collection.
--
The other way that I want to do, with your help, is to pass a a
dataset, and in turn, Reporting Services renders in the format (html,
xls, pdf etc.) that I want it to using either built-in report style.
I'll greatly appreciate anybody's help in this.
Thanks,
OhMyGaw.No replies. :-(
I don't know if this makes sense, but, this is what I'm thinking how I
should do it.
Step 1. Pass SQL and Conn. string, and output format to RDL generator,
and create RDL.
Step 2. Get the URL for publishing server ( i have to do this across
multiple environments)
Step 3. Publish report with a unique filename(may be datetime
millisecond stamped).
Step 4: Render report to the user in the format that the he/she wants.
Step 5: Delete the report after rendering is complete.
Can any of you please help me if this is a viable long-term solution or
is this too dumb of a design?
Thanks in advance,
OhMyGaw...
OhMyGaw wrote:
> Hello guys,
> I'm quite new to reporting services.
> My Question is, how can I do this using Reporting Services?
> Q. How can I preview the report (i know MS supplies a sample 'report
> previewer'). But, I have to do this WITHOUT PUBLISHING this report on
> to the server. i.e., I just want to use use the RENDERING part of
> reporting services.
> In short, I want Reporting services to "just take my connection string,
> my sql and just render the report without doing anything extra like
> publishing on the server, don't bother abt credentials etc.".
> So far, this is what I've figured out. With a. SQL Statement, b.
> ConnectionString, I know how to dynamically Generate RDL ( This, I've
> figured it out.) looping through the column collection.
> --
> The other way that I want to do, with your help, is to pass a a
> dataset, and in turn, Reporting Services renders in the format (html,
> xls, pdf etc.) that I want it to using either built-in report style.
> I'll greatly appreciate anybody's help in this.
> Thanks,
> OhMyGaw.|||In SRS 2005 this is supported. The easiest way to do that is to use the
Report Viewer controls, in remote processing mode. Use
ServerReport.LoadReportDefinition to load the RDL - and it will compile it
and execute it on the fly.
Thanks
Tudor
"OhMyGaw" wrote:
> No replies. :-(
> I don't know if this makes sense, but, this is what I'm thinking how I
> should do it.
>
> Step 1. Pass SQL and Conn. string, and output format to RDL generator,
> and create RDL.
> Step 2. Get the URL for publishing server ( i have to do this across
> multiple environments)
> Step 3. Publish report with a unique filename(may be datetime
> millisecond stamped).
> Step 4: Render report to the user in the format that the he/she wants.
> Step 5: Delete the report after rendering is complete.
>
> Can any of you please help me if this is a viable long-term solution or
> is this too dumb of a design?
> Thanks in advance,
> OhMyGaw...
> OhMyGaw wrote:
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > I'm quite new to reporting services.
> >
> > My Question is, how can I do this using Reporting Services?
> >
> > Q. How can I preview the report (i know MS supplies a sample 'report
> > previewer'). But, I have to do this WITHOUT PUBLISHING this report on
> > to the server. i.e., I just want to use use the RENDERING part of
> > reporting services.
> >
> > In short, I want Reporting services to "just take my connection string,
> > my sql and just render the report without doing anything extra like
> > publishing on the server, don't bother abt credentials etc.".
> >
> > So far, this is what I've figured out. With a. SQL Statement, b.
> > ConnectionString, I know how to dynamically Generate RDL ( This, I've
> > figured it out.) looping through the column collection.
> >
> > --
> > The other way that I want to do, with your help, is to pass a a
> > dataset, and in turn, Reporting Services renders in the format (html,
> > xls, pdf etc.) that I want it to using either built-in report style.
> >
> > I'll greatly appreciate anybody's help in this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > OhMyGaw.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment