Monday, February 20, 2012

RenderStream fun!

Hi Everyone

I have a tricky problem with Reporting Services 2000. We can't use URLs
to access reports for security reasons, so we have to use the web
service. This means I have to write a viewer control (I can't wait for
SQL 2005 either!).

The problem I have is with rendering images. I can either:

i) render report images by using RenderStream(...) to save them to
the web app file system OR
ii) render them using a different web page

I have successfully implemented both solutions.

The problem with the file system solution is that it is not scalable
for a web farm situation (unless I can do something clever with shared
network directories in a web application). This is because on web
server may get the request for the main report page and other servers
may receive the requests for images from the file system...

The problem with the separate web page solution is that it means the
ReportingService object has to be saved into the session so that the
same object is used to Render(...) the report and RenderStream(...) the
images. In our application, use of Session data is strongly discouraged
because of scalability issues. We have a method of passing session data
using a bespoke system, but this canno be used as the ReportingService
object is no serializable!

Does anyone have any advice on how I could approach this problem so
that I get a scalable solution that does not require the use of
Sessions to save the ReportingService object?

Many thanks,

Kulgan.You might get a better response in
microsoft.public.sqlserver.reportingsvcs

Simon|||Many thanks - I will post there!

No comments:

Post a Comment