Monday, February 20, 2012

Rendering to Excel: numbers stored as text

Some of my reports are rendering to Excel with numbers stored as text (the
little green triangle in the upper corner of each cell alerts the viewer of
the problem).
While this seems innocuous, it means that a user can't do typical Excel
operations, like highlighting cells and creating a graph, or highlighing and
viewing the totals on the status bar. Although there's a number in the cell,
it acts like text.
Not all of my reports are doing this, but I'm having major trouble figuring
out the differences between those which are, and those which are not. Also,
I can't find any documentation about how the rendering makes this
determination.
Thank you!It appears I've finally found the solution. Since I knew I wasn't *really*
aggregating any values, I was using First() as my aggregation formula. When
I switched to Sum() as my aggregation, the result was forced to be numeric,
even through the Excel rendering.
How was anyone supposed to figure this out without documentation!? I mean,
if the fundamental data is numeric, then why should First( ) change it to
text? That seems SO arbitrary...!
I hope this helps someone to NOT pull their hair out like I did.
"mr_bert" wrote:
> Some of my reports are rendering to Excel with numbers stored as text (the
> little green triangle in the upper corner of each cell alerts the viewer of
> the problem).
> While this seems innocuous, it means that a user can't do typical Excel
> operations, like highlighting cells and creating a graph, or highlighing and
> viewing the totals on the status bar. Although there's a number in the cell,
> it acts like text.
> Not all of my reports are doing this, but I'm having major trouble figuring
> out the differences between those which are, and those which are not. Also,
> I can't find any documentation about how the rendering makes this
> determination.
> Thank you!|||Thanks
This just saved me a day of pulling my hair out

No comments:

Post a Comment